Thursday, November 1, 2012

Food trials.....

I love food.....which means I love this time of year.....
The house frequently full of delicious smells wafting from the oven or crock pot.
My mom is a good cook and taught me the basics a long time ago. The struggle for me over the last 5 years has been how to maintain the flavor of the things I love with less of the "bad stuff". In an attempt to please the troops, I've learned to sear and braise and roast differently than I was taught. I've learned which herbs replicate the flavors of the sodium-heavy seasoning packets I used to use. I make my own pasta sauces and treats are made from scratch, rather than boxes. I always cook extra to get us through the week.
Sounds great right? Right....
Apparently not to everyone in my house.
This week has been really busy and I planned for it on Sunday. I have all of the typical pre-cooked staples in the fridge, so I can whip up dinner in 10-15 minutes.
This is what I came up with on Monday. Started with fresh onion, pepper and mushrooms...added frozen broccoli and finally leftover pork loin.

Tuesday, when I walked in after being beaten up by Kate at kickboxing, the last thing I wanted to do was cook! Jeff took over. He poured me a glass of wine (oh, no. He's trying to soften me up....), looked in the fridge for a minute or two, surveyed his options and quietly closed the door. He headed out to the garage, where the chest freezer lives. Honestly, I thought he was going to come back with one of the frozen pizzas he and Sam "hide" out there for emergencies. But he walked back in with a big old sirloin. I sat at the counter working and trying not to advise..... those of you who know me, know that's no easy feat, especially in the kitchen. He cut up onions and garlic and then went for the potatoes.... Yep, this is where I screwed up.
"I'm not eating those, you know..."
"yes, I know- but I don't really care. You cook what you like, I'm going to do the same...."
I could end this entry right here, because I think we all know how it went. Dinner was finished in silence. I'm sure he cooked thinking I was ungrateful and I'm positive he knew what I was thinking....

And so.... I'll move to last night. I pulled in to the driveway and he was already home!! I opened the door and guess what??? I smell onions and garlic. My heart sunk... He's cooking again.

I know, I know..... Most of you are now thinking I'm terrible! I should be happy he wants to cook! It's just that I have these goals, you know?? I have weight to lose and a dress to wear and I can't do it the way he cooks! Jeff is a good cook, but likes eggs, and oil and butter and bacon and bread. Yes bread! Most things he cooks end up in the form of a toasted sandwich. Delicious, but soooooooo bad.

Last night he made omelets and fried potatoes. I had left over chicken and homemade mushroom soup. Sam ate everything!!

So, how does a food lover, with health and fitness goals, live peacefully in a house with those who love the "old way"? 
I've been thinking about it all night..... I'm going to add to the Sunday cooking list. I'll roast potatoes and onions and garlic for them. Maybe make a meatloaf and lasagna. They'll like it, it will be ready to reheat, so we can all eat at the same time.

I'm going to make it more about the company rather than the food we're eating.....
I'll let you know how it goes.....

I'd love to hear your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment