Thursday, December 6, 2012

a little bit of this.....

...and a little bit of that.
That's the key to surviving the next 25 days for me.

I work with people every day who feel bad when they cheat on their meal plan. During the holiday season, it's important to follow your regular routine as much as possible, but to allow yourself some occasional indulgences. We work out too hard and eat too right to always say no.....

My calendar is filled with special days and events all the way through December 31, so I thought if I put some guidelines in writing, one of you might see me out and about and keep me honest!!. If it looks like I'm not following the rules, feel free to give me "that look". Of course, I'll do the same for you!!

 Maintaining over the Holidays
1. Eat on your regular schedule all day, until you reach party time. Never save your calories- you'll arrive hungry and have a much harder time resisting unhealthy foods and drinks.
2. If you LOVE it, have some, but just a serving. Grandma's Custard Pie is my once a year downfall. I love it and I'm going to eat it, but a serving is 1/12 of the pie.
3. If you LIKE it, have some, but just a taste. Party potatoes... you know the ones- with the crispy cornflake topping? Yeah, 1 bite.
4. If you don't ever crave it, walk away. Chip dip, scalloped corn, green bean casserole... not my thing the other 11 months of the year, so why eat them now??
5. If you're contributing an appetizer or side dish, take 2~ Take one of your favorite "naughty" recipes and one new healthy recipe. You'll get to enjoy your favorite foods without facing the leftovers in the fridge AND you'll have something good to eat. I'll be taking spinach-artichoke dip with warm pita bread and a huge green salad with pomegranate seeds, clementines, celery and green onions with homemade vinaigrette on the side.
6. Have a drink, then a glass of water. Consume at "enjoy it pace" not "get it over with pace". Cabernet Sauvignon is my drink of choice when the weather is cool. I like it A LOT.  This year I am trying to switch things up. I'll be drinking Absolut Citron with Sparkling water and a splash of cranberry. It's good, but not my favorite so I'm guaranteed to not drink more that one or two. Always water with lemon and a half hour break before my second drink.
7. Offer to be the Designated Driver. When I'm not drinking, I'll have sparkling water with fresh lemon slices and a splash of cranberry. Tastes the same as above and 'tis the season.... enjoy the lights on the trees, not in your rear view mirror.
8. Don't beat yourself up. It's easy to mess up when faced with tables full of food and drinks flowing like water. If you have a bad night, don't toss the whole month down the drain. Get up bright and early, get your workout in and try to do better next time.

Here's to great friends, good times and healthy holidays!



No comments:

Post a Comment