Monday, December 3, 2012

Out the window.....


I woke up bright and early this morning and sat down to write. Midway through my post, I started to feel crummy, so I got some tea. Didn't work the way I planned.... By 8:00 I was pretty green.
I taught at 8:45 but it wasn't anything amazing- thankfully I had a room full of experts and another instructor there working out, who offered to wrap things up when I finally threw in the towel.
I had to go back at noon, but I'd had a bit of a nap by then and felt a little better.
Another nap, and some toast, and I'm doing ok.
So my meal plan wasn't anything worth posting today and my exercise was minimal, but I got some good sleep!
I also got to watch a little afternoon TV. I try hard to avoid the television, because it's either a brain drain that sucks away precious time or it's negative and scary. Today, it was both. One of my friends, who is a long time member, texted mid-afternoon to see if I was watching a popular talk show.  They were talking about food. I clicked on only to listen to the next greatest thing in the diet world- another," __________ is killing us" diet! I couldn't even watch until commercial. "One size fits all, take something out of your diet" diets make me crazy!!!
I believe that highly processed foods are bad for everyone. I think that artificial sugars are bad for everyone. I agree that fresh fruits and vegetables and clean grains, healthy fats and lean proteins are good for everyone. I believe that food can heal you in many circumstances and I also believe that certain foods make some people sick. But each one of us is unique- each one of us has to figure out what works for us.
I've recently pulled dairy out of my diet because I've had some poor reactions. I thought I'd test the waters for a week or two without any yogurt, milk or cottage cheese. I am eating good sources of calcium and soaking up some Vitamin D in the great outdoors to make up for it until I re-introduce. I'm not ready to walk away from some great protein sources until I know for sure that they are the problem and honestly I love it soooooo much I'm hoping my hypothesis is wrong!
I know people who have trouble with eggs and others who have trouble with wheat. At Goals, we find ways to work around food intolerance so members can still get the nutrients they need to build muscle and burn fat. No cookie cutter plans around here!!
Ultimately we need to sleep well, move often, drink plenty of water and eat the foods that allow us to thrive.
Try something new, enjoy it if it supplements your life and be willing to throw it out the window if it doesn't work for you.
Let's get back at it tomorrow........... sleep tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment