Saturday, October 27, 2012

Coming home.....

I worked out in Urbandale on Thursday with my friend Brandy. She's moving in November and
will be transferring her Goals Membership down there. I thought it would be good to go down with her and introduce her to everyone I know.
Traffic was terrible because of the rain and as usual I was on "Kim Time"! I walked in the door just 10 minutes before class and Brandy was there getting ready. She'd already met Toni and as I started wrapping up, my friend Mary came bopping around the corner!
"Hey!!! What a nice surprise!!" And instantly it felt like home...
We went in to the studio and pulled out a bag and continued to wrap up while talking about Brandy's schedule and where she was moving.
Music started, filling the room with a pulse I can't quite achieve in my studio and Toni started pushing. Soon after we started warm up, Mardi and Sandy arrived ~ they run on the same clock I do :)
I quickly introduced Brandy and we turned our attention to class.
We all worked out hard, cheering, pushing and responding to Toni's commands. Random high-fives and competitive hi-knees everywhere you turned! It was a blast! It's been a long time since I'd been there for a class.
I started my Goals in Motion challenge in August of 2009, in Johnston. I drove every morning from Ames and worked out at 5:15am. That location is closer to home and the class time got me back in time to get Sam ready for school and to get to work. Once I completed my challenge, I knew that I wanted my own studio. I quit my job and started training with Mardi and Sandy. My friends Angela, Buffy and Sheri travelled with me for the next 9 weeks as they challenged and learned more about the program. After the first of the year I moved to Urbandale 9:15 class to complete my training. I met more amazing people. I had coached and taught at another gym, but this was completely different. Step by step I learned the "Goals way"~ always supported by men and women who attended class with me.
Back in Ames I was working non stop to get the studio ready. Painting the walls, putting mats on the floor and shelving together. My "break" was drive time, my fun was workout and my family expanded to include the men and women at GIM in Des Moines.
My first challenge in Ames started in February of 2010. I had been teaching some introductory classes for a month and had my team in place. I was fortunate to have an amazing group of friends join me as I opened my doors to the public for the first time. Ames friends and Des Moines friends alike, they were all there at the front of the room, telling their stories and establishing the difference between us and the others. Goals in Motion is different because of the relationships we build and the friendships that develop. We don't just workout together, we learn about one another... We become family.
And now Goals in Motion Ames is more than 2 years old. I have my own studio and my own team. We established traditions and our own special feel. I hope that as people come and go and eventually return to visit they feel the way I did on Thursday.

I hope it always feels like home.....

No comments:

Post a Comment