Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Thankful for the wisdom of those who have traveled this road before me.....

I am a thankful person by nature- a glass half full kind of girl, if you will. And for some reason there have been several situations in the last few days that have made me think about those who have paved the way for me to be successful and to live a better life.

Posts like this have to start with your parents, you know....good or bad...where would you be without them?
I was blessed to be born to an amazing woman. She is silently strong and care-taking to a fault. She has taught me to be loving and accepting. My children have experienced me, as a mother, as I tried to glorify her. I ALWAYS knew I was loved, even when I messed up (Once or twice, right mom??) and I always tried to be fair. Donna continues to be that woman today- strong and graceful- loved by everyone she meets.
I have two dads. One who is responsible for my existence and one who is responsible for the woman I have become.
Garry, my first dad gave me my eyes, my quick temper and my ability to trust my gut. He could read people like no other. We had a falling out of sorts 15 years ago and we hadn't spoken much, but I still felt his influence as I made choices in my life. I lost him earlier this year.... hopefully he is watching over me and be proud of the way I choose my friends and trust my heart.
Ron, is the man who welcomed me into his life when I was a snotty know-it-all teenager. I was ALL over the place~ confused about who I was and who I thought I wanted to be. He allowed my mom to hold him back when I'm sure all he wanted to do was throw me out of the house. Then and now, he loves me unconditionally, as though I was his own. He is the one most responsible for my glass half full frame of mind.... he finds the good in everyone he meets.

So where does a person go from there? Who has made an impact and who has sculpted you into the person you have become?

I've had coaches who have lifted me up and made me a feel like a champion. Friends who have comforted me and advised me wisely. Lovers who have made me feel beautiful. Mentors who have helped me follow my dreams.......

...I have my husband, Jeff, who pushes me to be better every day. Through his love, he has made me a strong business person and a clearer, stronger woman.

... I have my children. Both boys would tell you they are stronger, better and infinitely wiser than I am!! They would share that I USED to be the tickle champion, but now I don't have a chance. They would tell you I USED to be the homework whiz, but now I don't even know what the rational purpose of  (x+y/z)*2=5 is. And hopefully they would tell you that once upon a time I was the best mommy they could ask for. I always wonder if I gave them enough and my question is always answered with a "pick-me-up, squeeze me hard" hug I get at the end of Sam's day or every time Zach comes home. Zach has become a good man and Sam is following in his footsteps. They have made me a better woman...made me look at life in a different light and they have given me every reason to believe in tomorrow.

So, why share all of this with you?
I've told you about some of the amazing people in my life, because I think it's important to know that when I touch you, when I care for you and when I truly make you part of my world, it's because someone else paved the way. I am the woman I am because of so many influences. Mom made me a listener, the kids made me believe and you.... you made me realize how much goodness there is in the world. You made me realize that I can make a difference. I can make someone feel strong and beautiful and hopefully, someday I can give someone the same opportunities that have been given to me.

Go out and be thankful.....


4 comments: